ECG and cerebral CT scan were performed and were within the limits of normality.
In few cases it is possible to use antibiotics in order to reduce the LAB, but their efficacy is not clear yet. Some antibiotics in fact could cause lactic acidosis. In some cases metronidazole has showed efficacy, but following its administration some lactobacilli developed resistance.
- E Domann, F Fischer, F Glowazki, et al. Draft genome sequence of lactobacillus delbrueckii Strain #22 isolated froma patient with short bowel syndrome and previous D-lactic acidosis and encephalopathy. Genome Announc. 2016 Jul-Aug; 4(4): e00747-16.
- DL Zhang, ZW Jiang, B Cao, JS Li. D-lactic acidosis secondary to short bowel syndrome. Postgrad Med J. 2003 Feb; 79(928):110-2.
- KP Kang, S Lee, S Kiew Kang. D-lactic acidosis in humans: review of update. Electrolyte Blood Press. 2006 Mar; 4(1):53-56.
- NG Kowlgi, L Chabra. D-lactic acidosis: an underrecognized complication of short bowel syndrome. Gastroenterol Res Pract. 2015;2015:476215.
- L White. D-lactic acidosis: more prevalent than we think? Practical gastroenterology. 2015 september, series #145.
- C Peterson RD, CNSC. D-Lactic Acidosis. Nutr Clin Pract. 2005 Dec; 20(6):634-45.